If you've considered a fellowship and are on the fence or not sure if it's worth it, check out my top three reasons why you should pursue one.
1. Advancement of Knowledge
- At least three years of clinical experience
- At least two years/1000 hours of clinical management of office-based vision therapy
- 100 hours of continuing education (a residency counts for this!)
- Pass a 100 question multiple choice test
- Answer six open book questions
- Present three case reports on designated topics
- Sit for an oral interview
For the American Academy of Optometry:
- Accrue 50 points that you acquire through case reports, completing a residency, publications, posters, or academy lectures.
- Once you achieve the amount of points required, you go in front of the board for an oral interview.
2. Competitive Edge
3. Additional Benefits
- Discounted rates at annual meetings
- Access to various publications
- Professional networking
- Opportunity to become a mentor
- Ability to join AAO’s Special Interest Group
AAO has their annual meeting (this year it is Anaheim from November 9-12) & COVD hosts a slew of continuing education throughout the year in addition to their annual meeting in April!