Stumped on what to do for your Physical Therapy Day of Service (PTDOS) project? Here are some thought provoking movie quotes and song lyrics with some of our past service projects to spark your imagination.
1. “If you build it, they will come” - Field of Dreams, 1989
We, the PTDOS Team, have had groups clean up local baseball fields – resanding the infield, chalking the lines, picking up broken glasses, and weeding/mowing the outfield! Let your local community play ball in a safe field!
2. “They see me rollin’” - Chamillionaire, 2005
We LOVE seeing groups donate, clean, repair, and educate those individuals who use wheelchairs as their primary mode of transportation. Whether it’s your local hospital or a group like Go-Baby-Go, we love seeing our participants help get people rolling.
3. “You’re a team like Bert and Ernie, Superman and Clark Kent!" - Stymie from The Little Rascals, 1994
Team up! We have had groups in the past work with other medical professionals for their projects. October is Physical Therapy Month, but it is also Pharmacology month - investigate teaming up to make an unstoppable interprofessional service team.
4. "That’ll do pig, that’ll do” - Babe, 1995
Working with animals at a local farm, petting zoo, or animal shelter can so be therapeutic to you as the service provider. Don’t be afraid to get out there and get dirty.
5. "I wanna get chocolate wasted!" - Becky Feder in Grown Ups, 2010
Bake sales never get old.
6. "Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind." - Lilo in Lilo and Stitch, 2002
Serve families that need assistance. Even the smallest acts of kindness from helping with yard work, taking them grocery shopping, or doing household chores can really change a life.
7. "I made my family disappear!" - Kevin McCallister in Home Alone, 1990
Participate in a play day with foster organizations or groups, like Big Brothers Big Sisters, to create a family for those who may feel like theirs has disappeared.
8. "Please, sir, I want some more" - Oliver Twist in Oliver!, 1968
Food kitchens in your community are always looking for an extra set of hands and more food to give to those who need it. Interestingly, ⅓ of food donated to American food kitchens is expired! Help these organizations out with fresher opportunities.
9. "There's no place like home, there's no place like home" - Dorothy Gale in The Wizard of Oz, 1939
With the recent disaster in Texas, many people may feel like they don’t have a home right now. Connect with your local construction companies or hardware stores to donate tools, lumber, and siding to help rebuild a home for these individuals.
10. “Dr. Harris, do you concur?” - Frank Abagnale Jr. in Catch Me if You Can, 2003
We are healthcare professionals and we are qualified to complete health screens and help direct individuals to the most appropriate care. Connect with a local pro-bono medical clinic and see if you can help take vitals or perform movement screens.