What is an NPI Number?
In my own words, it's like the social security number for your identity as a doctor.
The NPI is a unique identification number for covered health care providers. Covered health care providers and all health plans and health care clearinghouses must use the NPIs in the administrative and financial transactions adopted under HIPAA.
How do you get an NPI number?
I wrote an entire article on how to get your NPI number as an optometrist, here ya go.
How do you find your NPI number?
There are a bunch of websites out there to locate your NPI number online, each of them are different with different features.
- My favorite because it is simplest to use and provides a ton of information
- A great bookmark link for your personal reference
- The winner when comparing all 5 of these websites in this review
- Must click a few links to finally get to the page
- Allows NPI lookup for organizations which is nice
- Useful because things are broken down into tabs
- Nice if you are tracking your data to see if registration was correct
- This is the actual website that gives you your NPI
- I find it annoying to click a few different links just to get to your NPI
In my opinion the winner is NPINumberLookUp.org because its the fastest and easiest to use. I can’t tell you how many times I need to recall my NPI number when dealing with insurance plans. This is the easiest URL to remember and the fastest turn around time to get your NPI. I suggest using this website, although all of the other sites really do the same exact thing.
Want to contribute another resource or ask our team a question? Shoot us a comment below!
The author of the content you just read, put in lots of work to provide you with this article. Even though we try our best, there is no guarantee the article is error free. NewGradOptometry.com, its sponsors, advertisers, staff and writers make no representation, warranty, or guarantee that this article and its contents are error-free and will bear no responsibility or liability for the results or consequences of the information contained within.