This is a sponsored post by Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. a supporter of NewGradOptometry & new graduate optometrists!
Understanding patient need can influence what contact lenses you prescribe.
There are ways to understand patient need, many of which depend on communication and asking questions about hobbies, lifestyle, and current lens failures and successes. Prescribing a contact lens that not only meets, but exceeds expectations and provides the best user experience should be a primary objective of all eyecare professionals.
There can be consequences if we fail to meet patient expectations. Failure to provide the best contact lens wearing experience can have significant ramifications for your practice, your patient, and your business.
If you fail to identify and meet the needs of your patients, they may begin to lose confidence in you as their eyecare provider. This can decrease loyalty, and result in patients leaving your practice. Even more importantly, a negative contact lens wearing experience may lead to patients seeking compensating behaviors, or contact lens drop out all together.
Research has shown that if certain needs are unmet, about 50% of consumers will reduce the total wear of contact lenses and 1/4 will reduce their wear by entire days.1
Read more about understanding patient need in this article.
It is important that we as clinicians, examine patient need, and carefully prescribe lenses based on close observation of our patients and consideration of the technology available to us.
The ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lens portfolio was designed with patients in mind, offering a complete suite of solutions for different types of patients and wear modalities.
In this article, we will break down the ACUVUE® family of lenses and products available for your patients.
- ACUVUE OASYS® Brand Contact Lenses 1-Day with HydraLuxe™ Technology (also available for astigmatism)
- 1-Day ACUVUE® MOIST Brand Family
- 1-Day ACUVUE® TruEye® Brand Contact Lenses
1) ACUVUE OASYS® Brand 1-Day with HydraLuxe™ Technology
These lenses are a fantastic option for patients with visually demanding lifestyles.* This could include those spending large amounts of time working on and looking at digital devices, or those patients who spend many hours in visually demanding environments. In a clinical trial, ACUVUE OASYS® 1-Day with HydraLuxe™ Technology had better performance than the leading competitor** in comfort, vision, and handling.2 A target patient might be someone wearing daily disposables for the first time, or a current daily disposable wearer looking to upgrade lenses.
Here is an in-depth overview of the ACUVUE OASYS® 1-Day with HydraLuxe™ Technology.
2) 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST Brand Contact Lenses
This family of lenses provides spherical, astigmatic and multifocal daily disposable lenses that we can prescribe with confidence. 1-Day ACUVUE® MOIST Brand is the number one selling daily disposable contact lens in the world - with a proven track record of success and patient satisfaction.***3,9 This lens technology is built on innovation that keeps moisture in and irritation out****, which can be beneficial for eyes with sensitivities.
When upgrading my reusable patients to a daily disposable lens, I often reach for 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST, as this family of lenses covers 96% of spherical and astigmatic eyes, as well as provides a multifocal option for my presbyopic patients to allow them to stay in contact lenses. When I prescribe this lens, I know I am giving my patients a great experience.
- ACUVUE OASYS® BRAND Contact Lenses with HYDRACLEAR®PLUS Technology (also available for astigmatism and presbyopia)
- ACUVUE® VITA® Brand Contact Lenses (also available for astigmatism)
While daily disposable lenses can provide great benefits for certain patients, reusable lenses are still a great alternative and utilized by many. Patients wearing reusable lenses also need a lens that can provide good comfort for the entire wear cycle.
ACUVUE OASYS® Brand with HYDRACLEAR®PLUS Technology and ACUVUE® VITA® Brand provide unbeaten comfort for my reusable-wearing patients.*****
ACUVUE OASYS® with HYDRACLEAR®PLUS Technology is often a first choice lens of mine, and many others, as it is the number one prescribed brand for new contact lens wearers.4 I choose ACUVUE OASYS® with HYDRACLEAR®PLUS Technology for new reusable patients because it has never been beaten in comfort after an astounding 19 clinical trials.***** New patients demand comfort from their contact lenses; in fact, 2 of 10 new spherical wearers drop out within their first year, and comfort issues are the top reason.5 This lens contains HYDRACLEAR® PLUS Technology which enables a wetting agent that mimics mucins to help maintain a stable tear film, providing patients with comfortable wear across a two-week wear cycle.
ACUVUE® VITA® was designed with unique properties that make it a fantastic lens for current and/or new monthly wearers. This can also be an ideal lens for monthly wearers experiencing comfort related issues, particularly at weeks three or four, as this lens provides reliable, superior comfort – all month long when compared to other leading monthly lenses.6 It does so by utilizing HydraMax™ Technology which represents a new non-coated silicone hydrogel formulation (senofilcon C), designed to help maximize and maintain lens hydration all month long.
Learn all about ACUVUE® VITA® and the science behind the lens this article.
You can easily identify target patients by asking current monthly lens wearers when they first begin to experience any contact lens discomfort during the month. You might discover that many patients begin to experience contact lens discomfort in that third and fourth week, and might think this is "normal." These patients are ideal to switch to ACUVUE® VITA® to provide them with that superior comfort.
Other Benefits of Lenses:
ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses have other major benefits like UV protection†* across the entire product line, BLINK STABILIZED® Design Lenses for their astigmatic correcting lenses, and INFINITY EDGE™ Design technology for comfort and smooth blinking.
We all know the importance of UV protection and the potential risks UV light can have on the eyes. ACUVUE® VITA® is the only leading monthly lens that provides UV blocking.
Read more about BLINK STABILIZED® Design and toric prescribing in this article.
BLINK STABILIZED® Design contact lenses offer exceptional stabilization during blinks and head movements. They are not gravity dependent like many other contact lenses and thus work well with various head orientations. Overall lens thickness profile is thinner with this technology compared with other prism-ballast stabilized contact lenses providing a comfortable wearing experience for our astigmatic patients.
Consumer Eye Health
- Contact Lens Care
- Dry Eye Symptom Relief
- Adjunctive Eye Health
Johnson & Johnson's acquisition of the Blink® Portfolio, now enables Johnson & Johnson Vision to provide eye health solutions in addition to vision correction. Products for contact lens care, dry eye symptom relief, and support for other eye health needs are now available to patients in addition to trusted, proven contact lenses.
1) Contact Lens Care
- Blink RevitaLens® Multi-Purpose Disinfection Solution (MPDS)
- Blink Contacts® Lubricating Eye Drops
- Blink-N-Clean® Lens Drops
When it comes to reusable contact lenses, we know that contact lens solutions can impact the comfort and performance of the lenses, and thus the wearing experience. I always make a recommendation to my reusable contact lens wearers on what solutions might work best with their lenses and with their particular eye health needs. Blink RevitaLens® MPDS offers patients a no compromise contact lens solution, offering the simplicity of a multi-purpose disinfecting solution with peroxide quality disinfection. Comparable to peroxide systems, Blink RevitaLens® MPDS offers broad spectrum disinfection against FDA/ISO standard panel microorganisms, but also provides greater than a 99.9% kill-rate against both forms of Acanthamoeba7-10
Furthermore, Blink RevitaLens® MPDS can provide your contact lens wearers up to 16+ hours of comfort.8 Blink RevitaLens® MPDS, coupled with a lens that provides comfort all month long like ACUVUE® VITA®, can make a wonderful wearing experience for your reusable contact lens wearers.
For my contact lens wearers who have dry eye symptoms and need additional support, I recommend Blink Contacts® Drops, providing long-lasting comfort through end of day,11 or Blink-N-Clean® Drops. Blink-N-Clean® Drops can moisturize contact lenses and remove protein deposits without patients needing to remove their lenses from the eyes.12 Many of my patients prefer not to remove their lenses in the middle of the day, thus rendering Blink-N-Clean a helpful solution.
2) Dry Eye Symptom Relief
- Blink® Tears Lubricating Eye Drops
- Blink® Tears Preservative Free
- Blink GelTears® Lubricating Eye Drops
For patients who experience symptoms of dry eye, I have found myself utilizing the Blink® portfolio for solutions for alleviating symptoms.
For patients with mild-to-moderate symptoms of dry eye, I utilize Blink® Tears to provide comfort and long-lasting symptom relief with less blur on installation.13,14 Blink® Tears works through a unique formulation that is hypo-osmolar, to address the high-salt content in tears associated with dry eye symptoms, and contains ingredients that helps thicken and stabilize the tear film.15,16
For those with moderate-to-severe symptoms, I utilize Blink GelTears® Drops which offers all the benefits of Blink® Tears but with a thicker, more viscous lubricating formula for enhanced comfort, ideal for daytime and nighttime use.17,18
3) Eye Health
- Blink® Lid Wipes
- Blink® Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplement
Sometimes, we find ourselves recommending supportive therapies to maintain eye health. For patients who wish to eliminate factors that can contribute towards irritation like debris, makeup, or crusting, I recommend Blink® Lid Wipes which clean, moisturize and soothe eyelids with a hypoallergenic and preservative and alcohol-free formulation.19
Omega-3 can have great benefits throughout the body, including the tear film. You probably will find that many of your patients are already taking them if you ask them during the exam. One complaint that I hear often from my patients is that they do not like the taste of their supplements which sometimes creates a barrier to compliance. We now have Blink® Omega-3 as an option for patients which can provide a great tasting, emulsified formula that's easy to swallow and provides 300% faster absorption than soft gel capsules.******20,21
With the combination of ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses and the Blink® portfolio of products, we now have more options than ever before to provide patients with an optimal contact lens wearing experience and support for other eye health needs.
Important Safety Information:
ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses are indicated for vision correction. As with any contact lens, eye problems, including corneal ulcers, can develop. Some wearers may experience mild irritation, itching or discomfort. Lenses should not be prescribed if patients have any eye infection, or experience eye discomfort, excessive tearing, vision changes, redness or other eye problems. Consult the package insert for complete information, available from Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. by calling 1-800-843-2020 or by visiting www.acuvueprofessional.com.
WARNING: UV-absorbing contact lenses are NOT substitutes for protective UV-absorbing eyewear such as UV-absorbing goggles or sunglasses because they do not completely cover the eye and surrounding area. You should continue to use UV-absorbing eyewear as directed. NOTE: Long-term exposure to UV radiation is one of the risk factors associated with cataracts. Exposure is based on a number of factors such as environmental conditions (altitude, geography, cloud cover) and personal factors (extent and nature of outdoor activities). UV-blocking contact lenses help provide protection against harmful UV radiation. However, clinical studies have not been done to demonstrate that wearing UV-blocking contact lenses reduces the risk of developing cataracts or other eye disorders. Consult your eye care practitioner for more information.
†Helps protect against transmission of harmful UV radiation to the cornea and into the eye.
Blink RevitaLens® Multi-Purpose Disinfecting Solution is indicated for the care of soft (hydrophilic) contact lenses, including silicone hydrogel lenses. Use this product, as recommended by your eye care professional, to disinfect, clean, rinse, store, remove protein and condition your lenses. If you are allergic to any ingredient in Blink RevitaLens® MPDS do not use this product. Problems with contact lenses and lens care products could result in corneal infection and/or ulcers and lead to loss of vision. It is essential that you follow your eye care professional’s directions and all labeling instructions for proper use of lenses and lens care products, including the lens case.
Use Blink Contacts® Drops and Blink-N-Clean® Drops to lubricate and rewet soft and gas permeable contact lenses, to help relieve dryness and irritation that may be associated with lens wear and to cushion lenses by placing a drop on the eye prior to the application on the eye. If you are allergic to any ingredients in Blink Contacts® Drops or Blink-N-Clean® Drops, do not use this product.
Blink® Tears and Blink GelTears® Drops are for the temporary relief of burning, irritation and discomfort due to dryness of the eye or exposure to wind or sun, and may be used as a protectant against further irritation. Patients should stop use if they experience eye pain, changes in vision, continued redness or irritation of the eye, or if the condition worsens or persists for more than 72 hours.
Blink® Lid Wipes for effective removal of debris or other secretions on the eyelid and surrounding area. Do not re-use. Do not use wipe directly on the eye. Discontinue use if you are experiencing any redness, itching or irritation and consult your eye care professional. For external use only.
Blink® Omega-3 is FOR ORAL USE ONLY — DO NOT PUT IN THE EYE. Before taking this or any dietary supplement, consult your doctor especially if under medical supervision. Keep out of the reach of children. DO NOT FREEZE OR HEAT.
Blink®, Blink GelTears®, Blink Contacts®, Blink-N-Clean® and Blink RevitaLens® are trademarks of Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision, Inc. © Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc 2018 PP2018CN4006
* Clinical Performance of ACUVUE OASYS® Brand Contact Lenses 1-Day with Hydraluxe™ Technology in Two Clinical Trials.
**Preferred over Dailies Total1® among those with a preference. Study was a masked, randomized, bilateral crossover study, where patients were randomly assigned ACUVUE OASYS® 1-Day with HydraLuxe™ Technology or Dailies Total1® the first week and switch to wearing the other lens the second week. Lenses were worn as daily disposables on both eyes, for approximately one week. After wearing both lenses, patients were asked to rate their preference across a variety of attributes.
***Source Euromonitor lnternational Limited; based on research conducted in May 2017; "world" and "globally" represent markets accounting for 76.5% of total daily disposable contact /lenses in 2016 (retail sa/es). Claim effective starting June 6, 2017
**** 1. Edge design 2. Lysozyme
*****In 19 Clinical Trials posted on www.clinicaltrials.gov, a website maintained by the NIH. The 19 clinical studies evaluated subjective comfort as a primary or secondary endpoint for ACUVUE OASYS® Brand with HYDRACLEAR® Plus Technology. Review conducted as of November 20, 2017.
****** These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
- 2015 Global Consumer Survey, N = 3,232 consumers 16 – 45 yrs old USA, UK, Russia, CN, Korea, & Japan. Base size varies: Data represents those CL wearers not completely satisfied with need. Understanding how wear time/dropout is affected by not meeting patient needs ; Predominant needs refer to the top 10 self selected needs.
- Statistical superiority achieved using the validated Contact Lens User Experience (CLUE) questionnaire from two randomized, masked, crossover clinical studies (n=119 and n=276). Study was a randomized, masked, bilateral crossover clinical studies (n=119) with daily disposable wear for approximately one week with each lens. Preference was recorded after wearing both lenses.
- Source MRM : #1 Selling Daily Disposable contact lens brand in the world. Euromonitor. 29 June, 2017.
McParland et al. New lens for demanding days. Optician Online, 03 June 2016
- IQVIA using the ProVoice Survey fielded from November 2016 to October 2017.
- A. Sulley, G. Young, et. al. “Retention Rates in New Contact Lens Wearers.” Eye and Contact Lens. June 14, 2017.
- “ACUVUE® VITA® Brand Contact Lenses.” Monthly Contact Lenses. N.p., 2016. Web. 24 July 2016
- Nikolic M et al. Comparative efficacy of new contact lens care solutions against bacteria, fungi, and
Acanthamoeba. Paper presented at: The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
annual meeting; May 5, 2011; Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Data on file 118 2011. Additional analysis of COBR-105-9608 clinical study data: lens comfort in subjects
reporting average daily lens wear of 16+ hours.
- Kolar SS et al. Contact lens care solution killing efficacy against Acanthamoeba castellanii by in vitro
testing and live-imaging. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2015;38(8):442-450.
- Kilvington S et al. Development of a new contact lens multipurpose solution: Comparative analysis of
microbiological, biological and clinical performance. J Optom. 2010;3(3):134-142.
- Frenette B. Evaluation of sodium hyaluronate lubricating drops used before insertion of contact lenses on symptomatology, severity, and intensity of ocular dryness. Poster presented at École d'optométrie, Université de Montréal, Québec, Canada.
- Bolli S et al. In-eye cleaning drops for silicone hydrogel contact lenses. Association of Optometrists Web site. https://www.aop.org.uk/ot/CET/article-archive7k=in-eye&contentyear=2012&contentmonth=april. Published April 20, 2012. Accessed July 26, 2017.
- Wasmanski AD et al. Cross-Over Evaluation of Polyethylene Glycol 400 0.4% and 0.25% Artificial Tears in Mild Dry Eye Patients. Poster presented at ARVO, Ft Lauderdale, FL. 2010.
- Data on file 116 2011. Blink Experience Satisfaction Trial (BEST)- Final Analysis.
- Laurent TC, Structure of hyaluronic acid, in: EA Balazs (Ed,) Chemistry and molecular biology of the intercellular matrix. Academic Press, London; 1970:703-732.
- Aragona P. Long term treatment with sodium hyaluronate-containing artificial tears reduces ocular surface damage in patients with dry eye. Br J Ophthalmol. 2002;86:181-184.
- Huth S et al. Wavelength-dependent optical interferometry measurements of change in thickness of apical corneal tear film following eye drop instillation. Poster Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology. April 27 - May 1, 2008. Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Dumbleton K et al. An investigation of the efficacy of a novel ocular lubricant. Eye & Contact Lens. 2009;3:149-155.
- Blink® LidWipes Carton Label.
- Raatz SK et al. Enhanced absorption of n-3 fatty acids from emulsified compared with encapsulated fish oil. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009;109:1076-1081.
- Oleñik A. Effectiveness and tolerability of dietary supplementation with a combination of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and antioxidants in the treatment of dry eye symptoms: results of a prospective study. Clin Ophthalmol. 2014;8:169-176.