ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™ is the first contact lens of its kind.1*
In fact, this contact lens has been in research and development for over 10 years to ensure the best possible product could be brought to market! Furthermore, TIME magazine has recognized ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ as one of the “Best Inventions of 2018.”
As an optometrist, you are likely to hear chief complaints of light sensitivity, eye fatigue, and difficulty driving at night on a regular basis. For our contact lens wearers, we had little in the way of contact lenses to address their difficulties. The new ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ was designed specifically to address those patients bothered by light both indoors and outdoors.
You would be surprised at how many patients are truly bothered by light or experience photosensitivity. ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ adjusts to challenging light environments, such as when playing sports, working under uncomfortable office lighting, or adjusting our eyes to digital screens or TVs. Transitions lenses truly make a difference for these individuals!
Here are some of the main highlights of ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™
ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ quickly and seamlessly adapts in response to changing light conditions* while reducing exposure to bright light indoors and out.
- They help wearers recover vision from bright light up to five seconds faster.||
- These lenses reduce exposure to bright light indoors and out, including filtering blue light**, and blocking UV rays***.2,3
- Brings out the best in everything patients see by providing enhanced color contrast.4
- Activates in under 60 seconds with exposure to UV and/or HEV light, and changes from full light to dark in less than 90 seconds.
The technology behind ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™
These lenses combine a proven ACUVUE® OASYS (senofilcon A) material with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™.
ACUVUE OASYS® contains HYDRACLEAR® PLUS Technology, an embedded wetting agent throughout the lens that mimics mucins to help maintain a stable tear film.5 This has proven to be the tried and true industry standard with a dk/t of 147x10-9 (-3.00 lens).
ACUVUE® OASYS (senofilcon A) material with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™ were designed to offer the highest level of UV protection in contact lenses, blocking 100% UVB and >99% UVA.† However, they are not a replacement for sunglasses.
ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ provide the same clarity of vision as ACUVUE OASYS®, but they provide increased clarity of vision in various levels of light. They also reduce halos and starbursts at night^, and provide crisp, clear vision.
ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ are available in both traditional Acuvue Oasys base curves of 8.4 and 8.8 with powers ranging from -12.00 to +8.00 diopters sphere. They are available in six packs of two-week replacements.
Discussing ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ with your patients
When determining who is a good ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ candidate, there are three important questions to ask your patients:
- Are you bothered by light?
- When are you bothered by light? Outdoors? Indoors? Both?
- How are you solving the problem of compensating for behaviors like squinting and shading your eyes in these environments?
Most consumers (94%) who experience bright light use compensating behaviors to help their eyes cope.||
These questions along with asking specific lifestyle questions can help to determine great candidates for this lens!
Here are some potential patients to consider:
- Patients who find themselves bothered by light or experience light sensitivity
- Patients with night driving complaints
- Patients with end of day eye fatigue
- Athletes/Fitness enthusiasts
- Computer users
Watch the video to learn more
What does this mean for your practice?
- You will be providing patients with a great solution to a common problem that many patients are now aware of. Johnson & Johnson has launched a campaign to drive consumers to your practice to be specifically fit for this lens! They have already received over one billion market impressions for this product. Additionally, patients have a four-to-one preference for ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™.
- You will be able to provide a solution for a problem affecting over ⅔ of your patients!
- You will be offering a best in class product with the newest technology on the market!
With technology ever-changing our industries and society, it is a necessity for patients to know their contact lenses should also undergo technological advancements. As eye care practitioners, it’s important we educate our patients on the availability of new products to improve their vision and enhance their eye health.
* High-intensity light/bright light/changing light found both indoors and outdoors
**Calculated per ISO-8980-3 for 380-460nm (Blue Light Hazard Function, B(l))
***Helps protect against transmission of harmful UV radiation to the cornea and into the eye. WARNING: UV-absorbing contact lenses are NOT substitutes for protective UV-absorbing eyewear such as UV-absorbing goggles or sunglasses because they do not completely cover the eye and surrounding area. You should continue to use UV-absorbing eyewear as directed. NOTE: Long-term exposure to UV radiation is one of the risk factors associated with cataracts. Exposure is based on a number of factors such as environmental conditions (altitude, geography and cloud cover) and personal factors (extent and nature of outdoor activities). UV-blocking contact lenses help provide protection against harmful UV radiation. However, clinical studies have not been done to demonstrate that wearing UV-blocking contact lenses reduces the risk of developing cataracts or other eye disorders. Consult your eye care practitioner for more information. Please refer to your regional Medical Affairs group for country-specific disclosure requirements.
- FDA press release: FDA clears first contact lens with light-adaptive technology https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm604263.htm, (accessed Apr 10, 2018).
- JJV Data on File 2016. ACUVUE® OASYS Brand Products Comparison
- JJV Data on File 2018. Definition of ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™
- JJV Data on File 2018. ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ Light Intelligent Technology™ —Objective Clinical Claims.
- JJV Data on File 2018. Material Properties: ACUVUE OASYS Brand Contact Lenses with HYDRACLEAR Plus, ACUVUE OASYS with Transitions Light Intelligent Technology, and Other Reusable Contact Lenses
†Ability to see comfortably in bright light
‖ n=1,000 U.S. representative adults 18+, surveyed by Leger Omnibus study, September 2018
^Clinical trials have shown those aged 40-65 may be more likely to experience this benefit in the inactivated ACUVUE® OASYS with Transitions™ lens
Important information for contact lens wearers: ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses are available by prescription only for vision correction. An eye care professional will determine whether contact lenses are right for you. Although rare, serious eye problems can develop while wearing contact lenses. To help avoid these problems, follow the wear and replacement schedule and the lens care instructions provided by your eye doctor. Do not wear contact lenses if you have an eye infection, or experience eye discomfort, excessive tearing, vision changes, redness or other eye problems. If one of these conditions occurs, contact your eye doctor immediately. For more information on proper wear, care and safety, talk to your eye care professional and ask for a Patient Instruction Guide, call 1-800-843-2020 or visit Acuvue.com.